Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Plan and Dream

Are you ready? It’s almost here. No I’m not pregnant. I’m talking about the bar exam. Which is kind of like a baby, right? I’ve found that I’m really getting to the point where everything that I have to do that isn’t bar related (with the exception of my Sunday softball game, Wednesday trivia, and periodic beers) is getting pushed off until some magical time in the future. I call that magical time: AUGUST.

Up to now, it’s been a distant thought, but it’s close, so what are you going to do in August? Like many of you, I’m taking the best vacation of my life. But that’s not what I’m talking about. There are things I have to do. For example, I haven’t read a book that wasn’t published by Aspen, Foundation Press, or West in three years. So I’m looking for books to read that have nothing to do with the law – please recommend. And I do one day want to read Grisham again, but not in AUGUST.

Got ideas? I want to hear them. It’s almost like I’ve forgotten what to do when I’m not studying. It's like a foreign concept. For the last 11 months it's felt like I never woke up without a to do list.

Upon completion of the bar, I know I’m going to partake of a beverage.  Maybe twelve.  It will be glorious.  I'll probably be drunk or hungover from the end of the bar through the end of August.  Then we'll see if the PTSD sets in or if I can make suicide jokes again and people will know I'm kidding instead of wondering if I'm serious.  (Please tell the voices to leave me alone).

Sobriety will eventually come.  At least for a few hours.  And that will be in AUGUST.  Maybe I'll watch television. (My DVR is exploding, anyone else?)  Maybe I'll watch movies.  Maybe I'll just watch the birds chirp and not think about whether they're wild animals trespassing on my land and my subsequent duty of care to invitees in "MultiState".  Maybe I'll even keep blogging (although probably not until SEPTEMBER - make sure to add this blog to your RSS catcher or Google Reader or whatever you use so that yo don't miss the new installments that arrive when we start writing again after the blog). 

This great "Tomorrow" will come soon.  But it won't come soon enough.  I have to get back to the flashcards - maybe those will start a nice bonfire in AUGUST.  Hmmmmmmmm.

Property on fire.  Fuck!  What are the elements of arson again?

No comments:

Post a Comment