Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fight Eminent Domain

Governments suck.  And I don't just say that because I was never elected to student government.  No, I say that because I just want the government to leave me alone.  Especially if they think I committed a crime.  I also want the government to take care of those things I don't want to deal with - like feeding poor people.  I'm willing to pay a premium for this service too.  But I digress.

In addition to leaving me alone, I don't want the government just to come take my house.  And I'm not alone in this regard.  I have a friend in China who was doing the same thing.  Yang Youde, a farmer in central China, owned land desired by the government.  He put up a valiant effort to stop the eminent domain takeover. To keep the government away, he built homemade canons and fired thousands of yuan worth of fire crackers (that's tens of thousands of American pennies). 

Here's Yang in all of his glory:
Yang was doing well - at least for a while.  Then the government decided it didn't like all of the media coverage this story was getting and came to send Yang a message.  Yang's brother was mistaken for Yang and here are the results:
Thus in accord with an earlier thought, I would say that yes - it is admirable to try to resist the government's takeover of your land, but it is not wise.  Same goes with illegal arrests.  It is admirable and legal to resist but it is not wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment