Thursday, July 1, 2010

Buy Other People's Junk

You probably need more stuff.  No matter where you are in the country, you probably have an outlet for finding that extra stuff: Craig's List.

Now, Craig's List had had kind of a bad rap lately - and by "rap" I don't mean music or the rule against perpetuities.  Although those both get a bad rap also.  No - last year Craig's List ("CL" - not common law) got its own killer.  Philip Markoff was living in Boston (where your humble authors of this blog also reside) and started meeting "interesting people" on CL and killing them.  Markoff himself was originally from Sherrill, New York.

So today, I'm going to spend learning conflicts of law and finding good finds on CL.  Let's start with Markoff's most recent home, Boston.  If you have $5, you can get these beautiful light up "accura emblems":
Wow.  I always wanted those.  I wonder if they're $5 for both or each.  Now, let's go up to $50.  For $50 I can get a used reel.  No rod.  But I guess people need these:
I especially like the ivory (?) handle.  Let's say you have more serious dough to blow?  How about a pizza oven for $1500:

That's Boston for you.  Let's try Markoff's original home, Sherrill, NY.  For $25, I could get an AbLounge:

Firm and fit for only $25?  There's no better use of money.  For $425, a person in Sherrill can buy "rotary tiller for b110 allis chalmers, may fit simplicitys also, very good overall condition with mounting hardware, also some hard ware for sicle bar?? rare item, dont miss out."  Check it out:


There's also an ad for dog walking services from these people.  I'd trust them, I guess.

Let's go to one more city today.  It's a city I blogged about a few days ago when suggesting that you look at a home.  It's the place where they try to sell drawn houses.  If they'd spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to live in a drawing of house in Ellicott City, MD, what else would they spend money on?  Before we get there, I noticed this lost item:

A black stroller was left in the parking lot of Safeway(10000 Baltimore Ntl. Pike Ellicott City, MD 21042). It is a special design with cherries as pattern. Anyone found it, could you call 703-xxx-xxxx. Owner will pick it up and give you some gifts. I'll be really grateful since it comes with a lot of sweet memories.
Do you think they left the baby behind too?  That would be funny.  I also wonder what the gifts would be.  Maybe they will be purchased on CL.  For $5 someone in Ellicott City could buy this duck:



For a mere $11 more ($16 is the price), you could get "Cutest snowglobe! Must See!":

Eh, it's not that cute.  But whatev.  I'm sure there's someone out there who would enjoy it.  Now for a mere $35 you can get an Ameda Breast Pump.  Yup.  I'm not joking.  The description states that "This pump does not have the original carrying case, but I have a bag that is can go in. includes pump and accessories."  No mention of it being new - BECAUSE IT WAS USED ALREADY.  I wonder if you can get other personal used products in Ellicott City.  C'mon people - what's wrong with you?


At least there is a job listing for an attorney.

Do you have a favorite CL post?  Share it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment