Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Express Your Love

Love has inspired songs, poems, and sonnets throughout history. In general, these express one person's love for another person. It's all very touching.

But there are other things that we love, and we do not express this love nearly enough. I am referring, of course, to inanimate objects. Material goods. Your love for things is why you went to law school (unless you are one of those hippies who wants to use their degree to save the world while living off daddy's money). You came to law school because you wanted to earn lots of money, so you could buy lots of things. Just because the economy sucks and you made a terrible miscalculation doesn't mean that isn't true.

Despite this failure, you still have some things. Fewer than you'd like, but that's just more reason to show some appreciation to the ones you have. I have had a few loves in my life. Before I came to law school, I had nice, newish car. I loved it. When I moved to Boston for law school, I sold it, because I couldn't afford to pay $150 a month to park the damn thing while also spending $40K on tuition. That's right, I broke it off with the love of my life to come to law school. I too make terrible decisions. That's the second worst trade in history.

There are still some things that I love. I am sure you have some, too. I think it is time that our beloved inanimate objects had some poems, songs, etc. dedicated to them. I will start.

A haiku:

Dear bed, soft and warm,
You hold me close, night or nap,
Sleep off my headache.


A letter:

Dear TV,

I just wanted to tell you how much you mean to me. You talk to me, give me information, and tell me what I need. You entertain me when I am too lazy to get out of my chair, and distract me when I am bored. Your beautiful, flickering images protect me from the horrors of studying.

Love,

Doodie

A limerick:

Too much studying, I want my bed;
Drops of knowledge leaving my head;
In my cupboard, the key,
Sweet relief, cheap whiskey;
Drink up, thoughts of bar exam: dead.

Writing poetry is probably not an alternative career for me. Let's hear yours in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment