Friday, May 28, 2010

Disagree with a Website

I was working on a post beginning with the line "this weekend is longer than most weekends."  I was going to write about how we're probably not going to be blogging as much this weekend because, well, we actually have stuff to do besides BarBri.  But I was going to link to the website: http://www.sizedoesntmatter.ca when discussing length. 

Instead I looked at the website.  It appears to be about Israel - and has the tag line, "Israel, Small country, Big Appetite for Peace" and is filled with pictures of hot looking Israeli twenty-somethings (probably post-Army).  I'm a big fan of Israel.  Not only am I Jewish - I once got on stage for parent's weekend at my college wearing only boxers with a sign on them saying "I'm Jewish and I can prove it."  And I can.

But this website seems to be sending mixed messages.  Yes, Israel is a small country, but a strong and important one, and one that needs defending.  But, there's this problem of the obvious double entendre.  We Jews have enough stereotypes promulgated about us (see, e.g., baby killing for matzah, horns).  Now they further the stereotype of the following joke:

Q: What happened to the Jew who ran into the wall with an erection?
A: He broke his nose.

Eh, what are we gonna do?

No comments:

Post a Comment